Pages

Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Oh, look! A dream turned nightmare.

When I was a kid, we would visit my grandmother in Trondheim every year. She lived in a small town outside of the city, in a pea green house. One thing that I vividly remember, is her lamps. She had these big, decorative lampshades that, to my young mind, looked like princess dresses. The kind of thing that's narrower on top and then flares out further down. I'm sure you've seen them. They also had tassels and frills and things. I used to stare at them for hours, wishing that I could wear them.

These days, I'm trying to find the perfect sort of a wedding dress. Just the other day, I came across this one:


After many, many years, I was presented with the opportunity to wear one of my grandmother's lampshades, but I find that the idea has lost its appeal.

4 comments:

Lil said...

Oh, the horror!!!!

Secret Agent Woman said...

That sort of wedding dress would likely only happen in the fantasies of a pre-pubescent girl. Thank God we aren't allowed to get married that young!

Ian Lidster said...

I think it's quite a fascinating idea. Don't throw it out completely.

jocelyn said...

Were the choice between that thing and a lampshade, I'd take the lampshade every time.