Pages

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Spring springing and sumo gymnastics

Spring has sprung. I know this for two reasons:

1) The other day I picked a gigantic tick off from behind the pooch’s ear, where it had settled quite comfortably in the soft, downy fur with its enormous, blood swollen ass in the air, like some sumo gymnast. Now that ought to be an Olympic event, if you ask me. I’d watch a sport like that.

2) Yesterday I gave the pooch a bath out on the porch. There’s not a creature on earth who hates bathing as much as the pooch does. She’ll take cover under the couch as soon as she sees the shampoo bottle. The trick is to wait until she’s not paying attention – which isn’t as easy as it might seem, since the pooch thinks I’m the most fascinating thing ever created – and then take care of the bath preparations (bucket with water, sponge, rubber gloves and shampoo. Not very complicated).

When it comes to the actually bathing process, she is somewhat conflicted. She hates the getting-wet-part but she quite enjoys the getting-the-shampoo-massaged-into-her-fur-part. After all, who wouldn’t? That’s my favourite part whenever I go to get my fur… uhm… hair done.

Anyway, her conflicted emotions keep her from running away, even though I’m sure she entertains the idea, long enough for me to bathe her properly. Once the bath is over, however, she storms around in a fit of joy so overpowering that it’s difficult for me to dry her off properly.

So you see, it’s spring. Although I suppose you might have noticed that yourself by now.

16 comments:

none said...

Does your dog come tell you when thye have a tic? Mine used to come show me and demand I remove it.

Tisha! said...

getting-the-shampoo-massaged-into-her-fur-part LOL that is the best part, who doesn't love a good massage!?

furiousBall said...

My pup loves tubby time, in fact for a while, you'd have to restrain him from getting in during my children's tubbies.

Too_Lively said...

Yay! It's spring!

Jocelyn said...

I guess I never thought before about people wearing rubber gloves to bathe a dog. I suppose they protect you against unforeseen ticks that might pop up during the bath.

choochoo said...

Hammer - no, but after I've removed it, she lookes a bit worried that I might stick it back on

Tisha - I do!

Furiousball - hehe, I almost wrote furiousballs. It would be kinda fun if the pooch liked water, but I don't see that happening, really.

Lively - YAY!

Jocelyn - I don't know about that, but it does keep me from getting a bunch of loose hairs tangled around my fingers

Cochise said...

Hi, Choo!

You say, “There’s not a creature on earth who hates bathing as much as the pooch does”?! You don't know my five year old nephew, "Black Cloud", that's for sure!

Have a GREAT weekend!

tomshideaway said...

Ticks, I can't stand those evil bugs, getting wet part is ok though!

Rain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rain said...

Both of my dogs like baths and love to swim the waves at the beach.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about evil ticks, unless I take them to the mountains.

Have a great week Choochoo!

Frank Marcopolos said...

ticks are annoying

choochoo said...

Cochise - Hmm. We'll have to get them together and compare

Tom - Ticks freak me right the hell out

Rain - You too!

choochoo said...

Frank - annoying and evil little *****, they are

Evil Spock said...

Evil Spock hates ticks, but leeches are worse. LEECHES!!!

choochoo said...

Evil spock - thank god they don't hang around in the woods much...

mist1 said...

One summer, my friend had a tick on her head for so long that by the time she discovered it, it was the size of a piece of candy corn.