Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

The house that the mad hatter built

What I usually do when I wake up in the morning, is roll over and go back to sleep. The second thing I do, is check all my gadgets for emails and such, in case I missed something fascinating while I was on standby. By this time, the mister will usually be at work, twisting young minds. Since I am the boss of me, I only get to twist my own mind. One morning, a few days ago, I had an email from the mister. It simply said; "honey, I think the dishwasher is broken..."

At first, my mind was just completely unable to process such a horrible possibility (I mean, washing dishes by hand? Who do I look like? My grandmother?) so I just sat there for a while. Then I went to check on the dishwasher. I turned it on. It wasn't dead, but it certainly sounded as if it wanted to be.

To our great relief, we found a place that could deliver a new machine within just a few days. I was still a bit grumbly, at first, but then I realised that the new thingy would be much prettier than the old gizmo, so I was happy in the end, shallow little thing that I am. Besides, the old one kinda needed cleaning on the inside, and...you know...yuck.

Little did I know what fate had in store for me...

Do you, by any chance, remember when I told you about the insane wiring in the living room? The one that made our lives of so interesting when we tried to put up a lamp in the ceiling? As it turned out, the set-up in the kitchen made that look as sane as tea and crumpets.

First off, the dishwasher wasn't fastened in any way, shape or form. It was, however, placed into a slight...uhm...well, it wasn't exactly a hole in the floor but it wasn't exactly NOT a hole, either. This was what kept it from dancing across the room when it started to vibrate. And underneath the kitchen counter, the installers found that it was just simply hooked up to an ancient extension cord. They didn't feel comfortable installing the new machine that way, go figure, so we had to call for the electrician who fixed the first mess in the living room.

Mr Electrician came by the next morning and redid all the wiring in the kitchen. Apparently the oven was hooked up using the same, fine system as the old dishwasher. Basically we're just grateful we haven't burned to death. Who used to own this house? Doc Brown?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And now you have extra extension cords. Cool!

Lil said...

The hell! That comment was ME, not anonymous!

choochoo said...

Aye nit so much, considering that it was apparently also used as a mouse-toilet...

Secret Agent Woman said...

Dodged a bullet, I'd say!

My old house has lots of just such craziness.

choochoo said...

Ah, the joy/nightmare of old houses

Jocelyn said...

Your house has as much character as its inhabitants...

choochoo said...

I'm gonna have to think about that one and get back to you :P