Pages

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Ahead of my time


I've been 27 for a few weeks now, and at some point I started thinking of myself as being 30... I don't know what it was that caused it, it just sort of happened. Of course I know how old I am. I can count. But still there's this little voice in the back of my head (sometimes it speaks with a slight accent) that insists I've hit the big 3-0. Obviously, this voice isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Another thing that The Voice keeps nagging me about, is that I should be finished with my education soon and focusing on a career - being so old and all. This concern would make sense if I was living in, say, the 16th century (not that I'd be spending much time on either of those things then), where people turned 30 and then died of consumption. Or from the doctors remedy when they were being treated for consumption. I try telling it that I've already done one degree (more or less) and that I am going to finish the second one soon, but it seems that The Voice is more of a talker than a listener.

Some mornings, it also tries to convince me that I left the coffeemaker on, that I forgot to lock the door, or something like that. Sometimes it reminds me that it's time to clean the fridge or do the laundry or put away my shoes properly. Then it sounds exactly like my mother...

(pic "Ricky" by KK+ for www.Flickr.com)

9 comments:

Hageltoast said...

hmmm, your mothers voice is nagging you...shoot your mother its the only answer! lol

choochoo said...

she'd come back as a ghost:)

Too_Lively said...

After the entry about buttons, and now this one, I am starting to wonder if we are lost sisters or something. Maybe we spawned of the same alien pod.

Jazz said...

Tell the voice to shut the fuck up. Eventually you have no choice or listening to it will force you to kill your mother.

Jazz said...

Tell the voice to shut the fuck up. Eventually you have no choice or listening to it will force you to kill your mother.

Jazz said...

Sorry about the double post, I have no idea what was up with blogger there... Blogger hates me.

choochoo said...

the voices made you do it?

choochoo said...

Oh, and yes, Lively. Maybe we both came off the same mothership, or something. lol

choochoo said...

Pickle - I don't really like being thirty, as it makes me feel like I'm late for everythinhg. I think I'll stop that:)