Pages

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I'm a little teapot



Over the last couple of days, I've been amusing myself with one of those automatic translators on the internet. This has yielded some interesting results.

Do you know the verse "I'm a little teapot"? If not, it goes something like this:

I'm a little teapot,
short and stout,
here is my handle
here is my spout.
When I get all steamed up,
I will shout.
Tip me over, and pour me out.

Unless, of course, you just translated it back from traditional chinese. Then it goes a little something like this:

They are a small teapot,
short and the beer of malt,
is my handle here,
is my spout here.
When I obtain all cooked to vapour in on,
grid era I,
it will turn over it over it will pour it outside.

Sure, 'cause that makes sense. Of course it does. Another vell known verse, is "Hush a bye baby". That goes like this:

Hush a bye baby, in the tree top,
When the wind blows the cradle will rock;
when the bow breaks, the cradle will fall,
and down will come baby, cradle and all.

The exception is when you translate it back from Dutch, in which case it goes like this:

A silencing secondary baby, above tree,
when the wind blows the cradle to hope rock;
The When bow break, the cradle will fall,
with will get down the future baby, the cradle and possesses.



Isn't grammar fun? And you know that little rant underneath the headline on this blog? The one with the oysters. Well...
I will not eat the oysters. I wish my dead men of the food. Not become ill. Not ferrito. Breakdown. Creed that seventy for hundreds of happening in the life are revealing and are thankful for the laughter, less than when the latte ones exit from my nose.

I think we've all learned something important here today.





4 comments:

Jazz said...

Translation is obviously best done by a human.

choochoo said...

probably... lol

Tim Rice said...

Fun post! And I don't trust nonhuman translators. :)

choochoo said...

Probably with good reason. They're clearly insane.