Pages

Monday, November 27, 2006

Like a little lamb to the slaughter


As I mentioned, I had an exam on Friday, which I both survived and passed (I assume). Obviously (obvious for me, anyway) this called for some sort of reward. One of the edible kind and another one of the wearable kind, I figured.

Feeling deflated and exhausted, I tottered off to the mall.
Earlier that day, I’d been so stressed out, I hadn’t even noticed that all the Christmas decorations were out all over town. Now that it was getting dark, everything was oh so shiny. I stopped dead in my tracks and stared at it, wide-eyed, thinking “Oh so shiny”. And then my stomach got bubbly and Jinglebells started playing in the back of my head. Covered in little, clear lightbulbs and with little trees decorated and placed all around, the mall was the shiniest one of them all.

Inside, it was as if Santa had exploded like some gigantic holiday piñata, spreading Christmas and cheer everywhere. I jumped on the escalator and up, up I went, straight into the glittery fun of “T’is the season, fa-la-la-la-la”, still bubbly inside and biting my bottom lip.

A little while later, I stood in front of a cash register and waited for one of the four clerks to take notice of me. I wasn’t in a hurry - I was staring down a Christmas tree.

What I didn’t realise at this point, was that there aren’t many shoppers in the stores that last hour before they close. The clerks are all terribly bored. They want to make those last sixty minutes pass by quickly, so that they can go home. And there was I, standing completely unattended, holding a sweater in my little hands.

Like a lamb to the slaughter…

All four saw me and pounced at the same time, faces full of big smiles and helpful expressions. The sweater flew out of my hands, as Nr. 1 rang it up. Nr. 2 dropped down underneath the counter, eagerly searching for a plastic bag. Nr. 3 tip-toed behind Nr. 1, ready to grab my receipt for me as soon as it chose to make an appearance, and all the while Nr. 4 made friendly comments about the weather. Four pairs of hands ensured that my sweater was folded up all pretty-like and placed in the bag, which in turn was handed to me.

When I finally got home, I didn’t have the energy to look at any of my rewards very closely. Go figure.





Pic 1 by Rameckers for www.sxc.hu


Pic 2 by Paul Keleher for www.Flickr.com

8 comments:

Jazz said...

Have you begun hoarding candy for your Christmas stash yet?

choochoo said...

uhm, no. I don't think I'll do that to the degree I did last year... Because...well... that was insane. Not to mention figure-ruining.

Jazz said...

Insane. Yeppers... Pretty much.

Steven said...

If Santa exloded...wouldn't there just be lots of blodd and guts and stuff? ;)

Steve~

Too_Lively said...

I'm thinking Santa explosion = lard, lots of pink lard.

Okay, now we are getting rather gross.

Tim Rice said...

Sounds like you had a beautiful evening ended too soon by the eager clerks. :)

Jocelyn said...

You got the sweater to wear (one day, when you recover from your mall-aise), but what delish treat did you get that night? Santa guts? Overeager Saleslady Suprise?

choochoo said...

Steve and Lively - Hmm... I always pictured glitter. I don't know why. There's only one way to find out, I guess. Santa lives up north, right?

Tim - they were kinda overwhelming when your energylevel is hovering around zero. lol

Jocelyn - I bought myself a lovely piece of dead cow:D